Travelling to North, Central & South America

Visa & Passport Requirements

It is your responsibility to ensure you have a valid passport and any necessary visas for travelling to the USA.

As a general rule you will need a passport that is valid for the duration of your stay.

Visas for travelling to the USA

Holders of UK, Australian, New Zealand and most EU country passports are eligible to travel to the USA for up to 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). You must complete an online pre-registration and receive approval via the US Embassy website's Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) before travelling to the USA.

You must apply for your ESTA at least 72 hours before travelling to the USA. Your ESTA will be valid for a period of two years, or until your passport expires. We recommend you carry your ESTA approval with you when you travel.

If you are planning to transit in the USA or intend to stopover on the way to your destination, you will still need to apply for an ESTA.

All travellers wishing to enter the US under the Visa Waiver Program will need to hold a passport with an integrated chip (an ePassport). New rules exclude most people who have travelled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria since 1 March 2011, and those who have dual nationality of these countries. This means that existing ESTAs could be revoked, and you will instead need to apply for a visa from the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Registration is a simple process that will only take a few minutes to complete. You will require your passport details and your address in the US (you can use the starting point hotel address). At the time of writing there is a USD$14 fee for the electronic approval (ESTA).

The ESTA form will request your Point of Contact as well as Address while travelling USA. The point of contact is our operation's office in California.

American Adventures Travel
77 W. Third Street
Santa Rosa, CA,
Tel: 707-523-1800

Your address while travelling USA will be the name and address of the first hotel or residence you stay at on arrival. 

Complete the ESTA form through the red button link below. to the official website There are a number of companies you may find online who will charge you an unnecessary fee for the service of guiding you through the completion of the forms.





For further information of the Visa Waiver Program for travelling USA please use the links below.

Countries eligible to travel

Requirements needed to travel

ESTA information

Visa for Canada

The Government of Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for some international travellers flying into Canada. Citizens from countries other than the US who do not require a visa to enter Canada will be required to obtain an eTA before entering the country. Eligible travellers will need to go online to apply for their eTA.

Please note: This ONLY applies to travellers arriving by air. So if you are entering Canada by land or sea you do not need an eTA visa. If you are planning to transit by air in Canada or intend to stopover on the way to your destination, you will still need to apply for an eTA to the landing pages. 

To apply for your eTA you will need your passport, credit or debit card and an email address. At the time of publication there is a CAD$7 fee to process your eTA. Your eTA will be valid for a period of fi ve years, or until your passport expires. We recommend you carry a print out of your eTA approval when you travel.

If you have not applied for and received authorisation via an eTA prior to travel you may be denied boarding, experience a delayed processing or be denied admission at the Canadian point of entry. However, neither possession of a visa nor meeting the basic requirements for travelling visa-free on the eTA, guarantees admission to Canada. As with most countries, the final determination of admissibility is made by immigration officials at the port of entry.

Barring any other convictions, if an eTA applicant has been recently (within the last 5 years) convicted of driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs, they will probably be found criminally inadmissible to Canada and be refused an eTA. Applicants with a drink driving conviction are eligible to apply for rehabilitation if 5 years have elapsed since their sentence was completed.


Register for CANADA eTA here





Visas for Central & South America

Visas are not currently required by holders of UK, EU, Australian, New Zealand or US passports for entry to Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and Nicaragua.


Other nationalities should consult the relevant embassy. As Central & South America visa requirements may change without notice it is important that you check with your local consulate.

Our iTrek Community
Meet other people interested in your chosen trip, ask questions and get to know your group before you go!
Thinking about booking or raring to go, we've put together a list of our most frequently asked questions.
Read Our Blog
See our blog for a taste of life on the road with tour leader articles, hints and tips and recent videos.
Trekkers Reviews
Don't take our word for it! Read what past trekkers have to say about their TrekAmerica experience.
Loading search bar...