THE TREKAMERICA STORY...
Over 40 years ago we pioneered adventure travel in North America and today we are still top of the pack. As the only specialist North American small group adventure tour operator we are proud to say that no one knows North America like we do.
Born in 1972, TrekAmerica was the brain-child of Jeremy James; and was started out based on the idea of cross-country American road trips with friends. The very first treks were 21 days, starting in New York and ending in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, the very same route that is still our most popular trip today - the Southern Sun!
The concept was simple, get together a group of free-wheeling, independent types, pack up a van with tents, camping gear, and a trek leader and follow the road, hitting all the key places along the way. Labelled 'Tours for Non-Tourists' trips were aimed at 18-35's and offered a fun, flexible and cheap way to travel
Fast forward 40 years and whilst a few things have changed along the way our spirit remains the same, we love bringing together small groups of young, international travellers to experience the best of USA, Canada, Alaska and Central America. Taking in the incredible national parks, small towns, amazing cities and fantastic activities, TrekAmerica gives you the ultimate American adventure.
Order brochure Sign up for deals
Our 40 year milestones
- 1972 - TrekAmerica is born and our first departure travels the length of the USA from New York to Los Angeles. This itinerary evolves into our best selling trip - the Southern Sun
- 1976 - Trek puts a foot over the southern border and offers a 3 week trip through Mexico, Belize & Guatemala. For 1976, this is quite an adventure! 6 itineraries are now featured in the brochure.
- 1978 - The mammoth 9 week Trailblazer trip is introduced and becomes an instant hit! All for the princely sum of £635 including flights!! That's less than £10 a day.
- 1980 - As if the USA wasn't large enough, Trek puts it's other foot over the northern border and adds a 21 day Canada trip and an unbelievable 30 day Los Angeles to Alaska road trip.
- 1988 - New USA itineraries are developed and added to the brochure taking the total to 15 awesome trips. Nearly 25 years later, 10 of these trips are still operating today including the Westerner 2 and Atlantic Dream.
- 1990 - A new WinterSun brochure is launched including 5 new trips in Mexico. Trek has now officially become a year-round operator in the USA.
- 1992 - Trek as we know it begins to take shape as it adds more North American itineraries. Now offering 37 trips year round with most of the trek names still familiar today.
- 1996 - As some of our loyal customers and many of our managers edge into their early 40's, Footloose is conceived as an open-age alternative to our original 18-38's programme featuring 10 trips.
- 1997 - Trek launches its first ever website , and the way our trekkers find us will never be the same. Nor will our groups, as the site attracts clients from over 43 different countries.
- 2000 - TrekAmerica, WinterSun & Footloose are merged into one massive 80 page brochure.
- 2004 - Footloose re-launches its own dedicated brochure with new Specialist Trips & Family Adventures
- 2005 - South America has always been the favourite get away for trek tour leaders in the off season. Treks in Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru & Patagonia are added.
- 2006 - Trek creates a profile on an unknown website called Facebook. At the time, we're not sure if it will take off?!
- 2007 - A range of budget lodging trips are launched based on our most popular camping itineraries. Originally called "cruising" trips, these were quickly re-named 'BLT's'!
- 2010 - One of the busiest years... Trek has a major make-over with a new logo and brochure launched in the Spring. Our own social network, TrekAmerica Live goes online in the Summer shortly followed by a re-launch of Footloose as Grand American Adventures. Oh, and we also had time to add our new 3-4 day Mini Adventures.
- 2012 - Trek celebrates its 40th anniversary and is the proud winner of an incredible 4 gold awards at the' prestigious British Travel Awards, including the award for 'Best Tour Operator to the USA' for the third year in a row. TrekAmerica launches a new range of tours to Central America, BOLT (buses or local transport tours) and provide free Wi-FI in vans in the USA and Canada.
- TrekAmerica launches its most epic adventure yet -
The Great 48
- an epic road trip covering all 48 states of the transcontinental USA in 80 days.